Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A good day for the Corkmaster...

Well...it was generally a good day today. Cleaned up some long outstanding admin, finished some projects at work that have been dragging for a while, had a good performance review, and had a few good wines...

For starters, I finally lodged my 2006 and 2007 tax returns which have been overdue for quite some time now. I am now officially off the 'delinquents' list at work...with a larger than planned refund due, which never hurts. I even offered the lady that does my taxes a bottle of wine and she turned it down...Sweet...more for me. Apparently she's allergic. Not sure what I'd do if I was allergic to wine...

My day ended with a surprisingly quick delivery of my most recent purchase from The Wine Society, a case of the 2006 Glaetzer Bishop Shiraz. I have tried most of Ben Glaetzer's wines, but this was one that I hadn't tried, and it is a bit more affordable than the others, so I thought I'd give it a go. I only had one glass tonight but I thought it was exceptional for a $30 bottle of wine. No doubt this label has benefitted from the fact that Glaetzer no longer produces one of their more premium (and more expensive) wines, which means the grapes previously destined for that wine now go into 'The Bishop'. Definitely one to watch, as my guess is it goes up in price over the next few years...

My purchase came about because earlier in the week I finally gave in to the endless phone calls from the Wine Society and ordered another case of wine. I joined the 'club' when I first moved to Australia because we, and the people who referred us, got a few free bottles of wine. I've continued as a member as the only real obligation is one case/year and there is a good deal to be had at least once every 12 months, sometimes more. I had just recently purchased my annual requirement, having bought a six-pack of the Penfolds 2005 bin releases (2,28,128,138,389,407) and a six-pack of the 2006 Barons of the Barossa Shiraz, but couldn't turn down another case. In a short space of time, I have managed to fill the wine fridge again, after putting everything else in offsite storage before we left Sydney. I think I will be in trouble with my accountant, which incidentally isn't me, it's Natasha...

I also officially locked myself in to run a half-marathon today, having registered with Run Melbourne and my 'boot-camp' trainer. Seven weeks to go...21 km...I'd better get my a$$ in gear. Less wine, more running... I'm keen just to get a time to benchmark against in the future where I can do some proper training. I've done the Sydney City to Surf, which is 16 km (with some big hills...), so how much harder can 21 km be? I guess I'll find out seven weeks...









0 comments: