Sunday, June 15, 2008

Poor Man's Grange

After the bad experience with my first Grange, I decided to give 'Baby Grange' or 'Poor Man's Grange' a go. I picked up a case of aged '02 cellar release Bin 389 from Dan Murphy's for $40/bottle while restocking the whites (apparently this was marked down as Dan Murphy's are rotating their cellar release wines). The price of this wine has crept up over the last few years, hovering around $50/bottle for the current release. I've got the '03, '04, and '05 in the cellar, but didn't have any of the '02, so I couldn't resist the urge...

I decanted it for a few hours before my first glass but it was still pretty closed. I think this will need a few more years before it really hits its straps, but it is still drinking well now. I don't know the final blend, but the cabernet is obvious and gives it a minty flavour right from the start. It is big and long (yes, I'm talking about a wine...), and went brilliantly with a block of Lindt Mint Intense (and a slow roasted leg of lamb). Definitely worth the $40/bottle, or even the $50/bottle for the current release.

I did feel a bit guilty buying this, but I'm sure I'll get over it. I read an interesting article about Len Evans this weekend; his wife recalling how, when they were trying to make ends meet, he would still come home with an expensive bottle of wine...proud as punch. Not that I'm in his league, as one of Australia's finest oenophiles, but one can aspire... There were, however, some similarities, as my accountant wasn't overly impressed when I emerged with my purchase.

After almost a full week of AFD's (alcohol free days), this was a great start to the week. Am definitely looking forward to the next bottle in six months time...

1 comments:

Natasha Jones said...

When you have the real Grange next time, make sure you share the experience with your wife!!!