Sunday, April 27, 2008

Another Top Five

Well...the money tree still hasn’t sprouted, so I’m still searching for some reliable drops in the $10-20 range (or lower) that are our ‘dailies’...and a few more in the $20-40 range that can be our ‘weeklies’. Over the last few years, we have been spoiled with a glut of red wine in Australia, so there has been a lot of quality wine in Australia at reasonable prices. With the 2007 vintage being substantially smaller in size, I understand the balance has corrected itself, so I assume prices of your favourite wines are likely to go up if they haven’t already.
My ‘top five’ in the more affordable categories:

  • Saltram Mamre Brook Cabernet Sauvignon – You can usually find it for around $20/bottle (less for a case price). The ’02 was highly regarded by all the experts, and although I never had it, that’s what prompted me to try it. I’ve since had the ’03, ’04 and ’05, all of which are drinkable now, but will cellar. I’ve got some of each in my cellar and intend on having a recently purchased ’05 next weekend. The winemaker, Nigel Dolan, has gotten a lot of accolades on the back of this wine plus the super premium Saltram No.1 Shiraz and Eighth Maker Shiraz. The Mamre Brook Shiraz ($20/bottle) is also very good.
  • Jacob’s Creek Steingarten Riesling – This usually retails for around $25+/bottle. We found the ’06 in Melbourne for $20/bottle (case price), so bought a dozen – six for the cellar and six for progressive drinking over the next six months. On par with the best Rieslings in Australia. In Canada when I first started drinking wine, Jacob's Creek's Traditional Range was a staple. Upon arrival to Australia I realised that there were plenty of better options for a few dollars more, although generally, they still are reasonable value for money.
  • St Hallett Faith Shiraz – Depending on the bottle shop you can usually get this for around $15/bottle. A so-called typical Barossa shiraz, but made for early drinking. We have had well over a dozen of these, and never been disappointed. The Gamekeeper’s reserve, which is a Grenache/Shiraz/Mourvedre blend is also a very good quaff at about $12/bottle.
  • Seppelt Chalambar Shiraz – I had some of the ’03 and loved it so bought a dozen for the cellar, although only about four have actually made it there. I bought a case of the ’05, and have been marginally disappointed, but I think mostly because I was expecting it to over deliver like it has for the last few years. You can find the ’05 (current vintage) for about $18/bottle, which is still good value. If you find any of the ’02 through ’04 at this price, or even under $30, jump on it, as it is great stuff. Seppelt also produce a great Drumborg Riesling ($30/bottle) and a Victorian Shiraz ($12/bottle) that are always good drinking.
  • Torbreck The Steading GSM blend – This is a bit more pricey, as you’d usually find it for around $30/bottle, but it is great drinking. The Grenache/Shiraz/Mourvedre blend is one that I've started to enjoy a lot in recent times. I’ve had it probably 4 or 5 times and loved it. I had a few in my cellar but couldn’t resist the urge to drink them. I’m a very big fan of the Torbreck wines, which I have been lucky enough to taste at an Australian Wine Show a few years ago. I'd recommend any of them, depending on preference and budget...

0 comments: