Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Sunday Ritual

I made my fortnightly trip to Dan Murphy's this afternoon because I had heard rumours of Saltram No. 1 Shiraz being available for under $40/bottle (it usually retails for around $60-70/bottle) and we needed some 'dailies'. As it turned out, the rumours were true - $37.90/bottle for the '03 No. 1. As I said previously, I am a fan of Nigel Dolan's wines and I have always been keen to try this one but the price tag scared me away. Under $40/bottle, however, I couldn't resist, and bought the only three bottles they had left. I think I'll open the first one tonight and put down the other two...

I also managed to find the 2007 Mesh Riesling for about $22/bottle. Mesh is a 'joint venture' between Jeffrey Grosset, who is probably Australia's best maker of Riesling (and winemaker of one of my Top Five wines) and Robert Hill-Smith (Yalumba). I've had a few previously but have been looking for a few to put down. I guess I don't need to look any further. It was only released in 2002 and they only blend the two parcels together late in the process, but I would imagine in a few years time, this wine will be an icon in Australian Riesling.

Other than wine shopping and dog walking, it's been a pretty quiet day. Am currently debating whether I finish watching the Swans/Kangaroos match or take Seamus to the park before all the other dogs leave...yes, it's non-stop excitement today! It's not looking good for the Swans as the Kangaroos have just taken a three goal lead and the Swans have only scored six goals all game. I think I know the answer...

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to report on an outstanding bottle of wine and a miraculous comeback victory for the Swans

0 comments: